Monday, December 13, 2010

Welcome/ 2010 fights of the year

Welcome to my boxing blog!
I decided to start this blog off with a bang and what better way to do so then to look back at the year that was in my first annual "Fights of the Year" post.  This isn't like other "Fights of the Year" blogs on other websites as I have a few different categories.  I also like to think that I don't fall into the trap of having the same opinion as Dan Rafael, Thomas Hauser, and some of the other, more experienced boxing writers.  Maybe it is my lack of experience with the sport (I have only been a self-described hardcore fan since 2007) that causes my differing opinion.  I like to think that I know what I am talking about and I suppose this blog is some sort of gauge as to how much I actually know.
Now, without further ado, I give you my "Fights of the Year"!

#5...Brawl of the Year
Kessler def. Froch (UD-12)


Not much to say about this one! What a battle for the ages.  In a fight that saw wild momentum swings only to be outdone by wild hay-makers that seemed to land more often then not Kessler eeked out a win.  Kessler won the WBC Super Middleweight title only to have it stripped months after this fight claiming to have an eye injury that has put his illustrious career in question.  Froch bounced back in the third stage of the Showtime Super Six tournament with a UD-win over Arthur Abraham for the very title he had lost to Kessler months before.  Hopefully Kessler can recover and come back to take back what is rightfully his and we get another opportunity to witness these two modern day gladiators battle once again.    

#4 Beat Down of the Year
Pacquiao def. Margarito (UD-12) 


Before this fight started I did something very different from what I normally do before a big fight.  In my notes on my iPhone I entered "Rd.8 Margarito KO Pac".  Before the 4th round started I regretted ever thinking that thought.  This was the most lopsided victory I have ever seen.  Granted I haven't seen thousands of fights however I challenge you to find a more vicious beat down then the one seen that cool November night.  The most amazing part of this beat down?  Pacquiao let up in the 11th and 12th rounds, even looking to referee Laurence Cole to stop the fight. (side-note, I can't tell who did a worse job officiating this year Laurence Cole or Arthur Mercante Jr. in the Cotto-Foreman fight) 


#3 KO of the year
Martinez def. Williams (KO-2)



I don't think I need to write anything to describe this one.  You either saw it or you didn't.  
One interesting note, I had the score 10-9 for Martinez after the first round.  I saw his punches and especially the vicious left landing with more authority then the long, long punches thrown by Williams.  The only reason I mention this is because the HBO crew that night was raving over how Williams "pushed the action" from the opening bell. 


#2 Fighter of the Year
Juan Manuel "Juanma" Lopez


What can be said about the year that Juan Manuel Lopez had in 2010?  

Juanma started out the year fighting Steven Luevano for the WBO Featherweight title.  He forced the referee to step in during the 7th after two violent knock downs.

Next up for Juanma was a much ballyhooed contest against Bernabe Concepcion.  Concepcion, from my recollection, was being touted as the next Manny Pacquiao coming into the fight.  Although Concepcion did knock Juanma down in the 1st round, Juanma dominated the rest of the round and stopped Concepcion in the 2nd round to retain his WBO Featherweight title.

In his 3rd fight of the year Juanma faced the legendary Mexican boxer, Rafael Marquez.  In what was a true war Juanma hit, got hit, and hit some more going toe to toe with a legend before forcing Marquez to retire on his stool after the 8th round.  (I don't buy the seriousness of Marquez's injury. I think he was getting hammered into submission going into the late rounds and didn't want to risk losing so bad that he couldn't score one more big money fight)

Either way, in 3 fights Juanma secured and violently defended the WBO Featherweight crown.  He deserves to be the fighter of the year.  

Before I go in on the fight of the year I just want to say this.  
This is the second year in a row in which "Fight of the Year" candidates have been fought in the last month of the year.  We as boxing fans deserve better then this.  2010 was a horrible year for boxing and only by virtue of sitting through stinkers was I able to concoct this list.  (Pacquiao v. Clottey, Mosley v. Mora, and the TERRIBLE undercards on so many other fights I am looking directly at you)  That being said my initial selection for my Fight of the Year was Adamek def. Arreola (UD-12).  Adamek vs. Arreola was a boxing match that showed just exactly what has been missing from the Heavyweight division for a very long time. Guts, an under sized TRUE athlete, and most importantly, two fighters who did not care about walking through fire and brimstone to get to where they were going.

And now, for my 2010 Fight of the Year I present to you...


#1 Fight of the Year
Khan def. Maidana (UD-12)




Once again, boxing fans around the world find themselves scrambling to include a December fight on their fights of the year list.  Khan, coming into this bout was questioned about how well he could take a punch after the Prescott debacle 2 years prior.  Maidana on the other hand, was aiming to continue his slug fest through the Jr. Welterweight division.  
In the opening round Khan, who looked much bigger then in his bout with Malinaggi, served up some serious punishment to Maidana.  Khan, looking to end the night early dropped Maidana with a Roy Jones Jr esque body shot.  Maidana being the warrior he is beat the count and bravely walked into vicious combination's to the head and body over the next few rounds.  Maidana was docked one point by Joe "please someone pick up that I have a trademark saying" Cortez for elbowing.  Who the elbow was thrown at is inconclusive as Cortez would not allow Maidana to work the inside and the replays show Maidana throwing the elbow much further than where Khan's chin was.  
Just when it looked like Khan would breeze his way to another win Maidana started connecting on hard, right hands.  Then, in the 10th round Maidana opened up and sent Khan flying across the ring and seemingly looking for a door through which he could escape.  Khan was wobbly for what seemed to be the entire 10th round yet somehow managed to survive Maidana's best shots.  I think Khan deserves a ton of credit for the 10th round and in my mind has answered the questions about his chin.  Maidana seemed to run out of steam as Khan was content to stay away from Maidana the best he could.  In the end Khan walked away with a close victory and Maidana walked away with a close loss that could eventually be seen as a great loss. 
Don't allow anyone to tell you that this fight wasn't great.  It had just about everything a boxing match can have; A body shot knockdown, vicious combinations, a slower opponent stalking his way through hell to land that punch that can change a fight, a faster opponent with a weak chin reputation getting hammered for an entire round and somehow staying on his feet, controversy, a frantic finish.
In my mind no fight this year had what this fight had. 

No comments: